Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Country Garden Showcase #47

Happy Valentine's Day!



On the homefront this week I got restless and tilled up a few big garden beds. Our original goal was to stick to a few small raised beds and wait it out this first year while we remodel the house since there is so much to do, but I am going stir crazy without some dirt to play in so my husband "caved in" to my need to grow something and we decided on two big plots in the front yard for this year.  I am so glad.

This week I have a few more things planned for the garden.  Here's my list-

Weekly Garden Objectives 
test the soil in the garden area- pH, N, P, K
chip up tree branches and add them to the garden beds
mix in some aged chicken manure
start seeds indoors ie: tomato, peppers, cucumbers 
direct sow cold season seeds in beds ie: carrot, spinach, radish, mesclun, and beet
find my boxes of 4mil clear plastic to have on hand to cover the beds with if needed

This week's FEATURED GARDEN post Garden Tips from the Micro Farm Project: How to Grow Quinoa was written and shared with us by Kari Spencer.  Kari is a Master Gardener and the operator of the Micro Farm Project.   

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-grow-quinoa
You can catch her insightful post again HERE.  This article is thorough.  It contains notes about quinoa planting and climate requirements, pest and disease problems, and cultural practices that will help ensure a successful quinoa harvest.  This article demystified quinoa and inspired me to grow it myself this year.  I am looking forward to sharing my observations with you this Fall.  Meanwhile, if you've been on the fence about whether or not to try growing quinoa in your garden you may want to read Kari's article.  It may just push you over the edge too.  

Have a GREAT and productive week in the garden folks!  It's your turn to share.

Let's get HOPPING!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Valentines Day to you to ! WOW ! You have been busy ! I saw and heard our sign of spring my fave bird the Robin arrived on Tuesday WOOHOO! Have great day !

    ReplyDelete

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.