Friday, November 11, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie mix-in-a-jar Recipe

     When my son was small, we made lots of homemade gifts for teachers and friends.  Mix-in-a-jar gifts are still a favorite of mine.  They're quick and easy to make and everybody loves time saving gifts.  Here's my son Jonnie's favorite recipe. It's adapted from my Mrs. Field's Cookie Book recipe.

Mix-In-A-Jar ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chocolate chips

     In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt together well.  Layer flour mixture, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and chocolate chips.  It looks best when the flour mixture is separated from the chocolate chips because the flour particles are so small they cover up the chips, obscuring the layers. (You can see the difference in the image above.) I usually start with half of the flour mixture on the bottom, followed by half of the brown sugar, then chips, the rest of the brown sugar or white sugar and finish with the last half of the flour mixture.
     Then, type up and attach cute tags with directions and additional fresh ingredients as follows:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.  Pour contents of jar into a large bowl and mix thoroughly. In another bowl, cream 1 cup softened, salted butter, 2 eggs, and 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.  Mix in cookie mix.  Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto a cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on wire rack. Yield 4 dozen.

     That's it.  A yummy gift for teachers, friends, family, anyone with a chocolate craving. I tie the tags on with colored raffia bows or pearl cotton and use pinking shears to cut circles of fabric to cover jar lids. I'll post more pics with completed tags and gussied up jars soon.  I am working in an assembly line, one thing at a time. This recipe is LINKED UP to Homestead Revival's Barn Hop my Thanksgiving Recipe Challenge and Esther's Our Simple Country Living Christmas Cookie Swap!

14 comments:

  1. I love all kinds of mixes in a jar for gifts! These look great, I like the separating of the flour from the chips! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these! I have never done a mix in a jar, but it looks like such an easy and cost effective gift. I plan on making some this December.

    Kateri @ Dandelion Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing! I have the perfect friend I am going to make this for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Half the reason I love mix-in-a -jar gifts is because they're so muck fun to decorate! Your's look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that idea! I have made drinking chocolate in a jar with marshmallows but haven't tried a baking mix. I like that you can add all sorts of decoration to the lid of the jar.

    I'm having a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! It's so nice giving homemade gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this - I'm going to probably give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is fun decorating the jars, and so much fun to mix it all up. I have made this recipe lots if times over the years and it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to make these for my friends ... and now I can ... thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came across your recipe, gonna give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, gonna give these a go for Xmas gifts for teachers, they look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making these as gifts for my roommates! Such an awesome idea, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super fun and easy! Saving this page!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

My email address is whitewolfsummitfarmgirl@gmail.com.